The past few weeks of December flew by, we all did our little dance for the holiday season, traveled and celebrated and rested (hopefully), and now a New Year greets us. Here are a few of the highlights from my year. Scroll to the bottom and leave a comment — I’d love to know what you loved about your 2012! I hope you have a great start to your New Year, and thanks for being part of my 2012.
Stay tuned to this website to stay up to date on my book writing progress, and feel free to join the email list here: ttp://eepurl.com/n9vYv
Highlights of 2012
- Got engaged and planned (and planned and planned) and finally married my best friend Kati.
- I spent a few days in the same place as my brothers Seth, Nate, and Brian (it only happens once a year, so it’s really special).
- Traveled to Minnesota, California, Colorado, and northwest Oregon (cities Minneapolis/St. Paul, Rochester, Denver, Fort Collins, Los Angeles, Monterey, Santa Cruz, Portland, Eugene, and more).
- Supported my sister Laura and brother-in-law Tyler as they made me an uncle to a cool little nephew, Noah.
- Celebrated with my family when my brother Lee and his girl Allison got engaged.
- Got to live in a sweet house with some cool guys for a few months.
- I spent Black Friday in lines…at Six Flags Magic Mountain in sunny L.A. with my wife and new cousins.
- I surpassed the halfway point in writing my book (if you want to know more about the book I’m writing, click here).
- Attended one of the most creative, inspiring, and motivating conferences: Catalyst West Leadership Conference in southern California with my friends Nick and Christian.
- Had the privilege of shooting and editing a video that was shown for thousands of people (see the video here: The Story of My Church). I also got to shoot photos as official photographer for the Global Leadership Conference satellite campus in southern Oregon.
Lessons Learned in 2012
- Building deep, meaningful friendships take a lot of time and shared experiences.
- One of my passions is to live with vision, seeing with a bigger perspective, beyond the details of here and now.
- Between the promise and the payoff, there’s always a process.
- Planning a wedding is a long, frustrating, detailed process…but totally worth it in the end.
- Just as He always seems to do, God works through small details and a timeline I rarely understand to bring about better circumstances than I could have planned.
- I am driven to live with purpose, and help other people live with purpose.
- Friendships come and friendships go. Love and help people using discernment.
- Time is valuable. Prioritize.
- Don’t be afraid to create a little margin in your schedule. Down time, solitude, and rest are an important part of living in a good rhythm.
- If I want to live a better story with my life, I need to do stuff, not just think about stuff (but balanced with the above statement).
Favorite Quotes Found in 2012
- “Conflict causes us to value our ambitions.” – Donald Miller
- “Story is where people go to practice the key skills of human social life.” – Jonathan Gottschall
- “If you wish to influence an individual or a group to embrace a particular value in their daily lives, tell them a compelling story.” – Annette Simmons
- “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.” Augustine of Hippo
- “Truth involves more than intellectual statements; it includes acting on what we believe…” – Temper Longman
- ”Community is not a common ideology, but a response to a common call.” -Henri Nouwen
- “Showing up in the life of another echoes God’s promise: ‘I am with you.’” @johnsowers
Favorite Books Read in 2012
- Thy Kingdom Connected: What the Church Can Learn From Facebook, the Internet, and Other Networks - Dwight J. Friesen
- Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible – Steven Furtick
- The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God - Tim Keller
- Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World – Bob Goff
- A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life (again) - Donald Miller
- Life Kerning: Creative Ways to Fine Tune Your Perspective on Career and Life – Justin Ahrens
- The Storytelling Animal: How Stories Make Us Human – Jonathan Gottschall
- The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles – Steven Pressfield
- Saturday Nothing: The Words I Wrote While Waiting on Jesus – Josh Martin (read my take on Josh’s memoir here)
- Man Made: A Stupid Quest for Masculinity – Joel Stein
Favorite Albums of 2012
- Paper Route – The Peace of Wild Things
- Propaganda – Excellent
- Macklemore and Ryan Lewis – The Heist
- Mumford and Sons – Babel
- Lovedrug – Wild Blood
- SOLA-MI – NEXUS Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
- Of Monsters and Men – My Head Is An Animal
- Lowercase Noises – Passage
Favorite Films Viewed in 2012
- The Ides of March
- Into the Wild
- Love Costs Everything
- The Avengers
- The Dark Knight Rises
- Safety Not Guaranteed
- Moonrise Kingdom
What were the highlights of your 2012? What are you looking forward to in 2013?