Highlights of 2011
- Celebrated with family and played a song for my sister and brother-in-law’s wedding ceremony.
- Became the suavest wedding party known to mankind with best friends Seth and Brian, in best friend Nate‘s wedding (on Brian’s birthday, when we also ate both Chick-fil-a and In-N-Out).
- Dating one of the most authentic, grounded, and humble people I know.
- Traveled to Minnesota, Iowa, Utah, Georgia, California, Washington, Idaho (including cities Minneapolis, Saint Paul, Rochester, San Diego, San Francisco, Eugene, Spokane, Pullman, Moscow, Atlanta, Salt Lake City).
- Summitted Mount McLoughlin (9495 ft) in southern Oregon’s Cascade Range (11-mile excursion).
- Surpassed New Year’s Resolution to read an average of one book per month, plus blogs and magazines. Began working with a creative team and producing video and communications for student ministry programming and young adult community.
- Invested in several mentoring relationships, listening to, learning from, and strengthening others while making personal growth.
- Relaunched blog at johnweirick.com with more focus on writing consistently and integrating media I produce.
- Saw my sister and brother-in-law buy their first house and plan more of their future together, and seeing my little brother grow in seeking life purpose and maturity.
- Praised by Charlie Daniels on national radio for my good attitude.
- Lambasted by Gary Busey on national radio for my lack of professionalism.
Lessons Learned in 2011
- A twelve ounce medium-rare sirloin tastes best after climbing a mountain.
- Wearing a fedora through an airport incites questions as to whether one is a musician.
- Sometimes impromptu conversations with strangers at bookstores and in flights lead to surprising connections and mutual benefit.
- Less is less…but simplicity is refreshing.
- The older I get, the more I value conversations and time spent with close friends and family who live across the country.
- Investing in a select few who have a hunger to learn and grow can yield rewarding motivation for myself.
- Listen while doing. Then keep doing.
- Stay intentional.
Favorite Tweets of 2011
@johnweirick You should add “verbal ninja” to your profile.
- @NickRistow: One of the greatest things i have ever seen. @johnweirick
@theschaefer @ZehPants http://bit.ly/tzDtm4
- @DonMillerIs: “try to sleep with that active sleep of confidence which is that of the seed in winter.” Teilhard De Chardin. Goodnight, world. Sleep well.
- @DanielStancil: My boy
@johnweirick and me having some fun while all u east coast peeps sleep 🙂 planking on a railway http://bit.ly/tKIRck
- @AtAttack: “if your vision doesn’t scare you, then your vision and your god are too small. ” – Brother Andrew
- @JoshMartinMusic: Thank you Steve Jobs. By Gods grace you gave the world a tool the Church uses for Gods glory.
- @ASchibilla: “worship becomes a place where we have our lives redefined for us.” Eugene Peterson
- @RonSwanson: The word is out, I’m freaked out and excited. I’m a church planter.
- @JoelMorgan4: “Get off the video games five hours a day, get yourself together, get a challenging job and get married.”
- @JonForeman: “Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents.” – Ludwig van Beethoven
- @CraigGroeschel: Faith never knows where it is being led, but it loves and knows the One who is leading. Oswald Chambers
- @RiggsJosh: “Sanctification is a dirt path until God kills you.” – Chandler
See other favorite tweets.
Favorite Books Read in 2011
- “Through Painted Deserts: Light, God and Beauty on the Open Road” – Don Miller
- “Quitter: Closing the Gap Between Your Day Job and Your Dream Job” – Jon Acuff
- “The Catcher In The Rye” – J.D. Salinger
- “Emerging Worship: Creating Worship Gatherings For New Generations” – Dan Kimball
- “Jesus Wants to Save Christians: A Manifesto for the Church in Exile” – Rob Bell
- “Chazown: Define Your Vision, Pursue Your Passion, Live Your Life on Purpose” – Craig Groeschel
Favorite Films Viewed in 2011
- “Moneyball” – Bennett Miller
- “True Grit” – Ethan Coen and Joel Coen
- “Ink” – Jamin Winans
- “Objectified” – Gary Hustwit
- “Freakonomics: The Movie” – Chad Troutwine
- “Firefly” (TV series, season one) – Joss Whedon
- “There Will Be Blood” – Paul Thomas Anderson
- “Super Size Me” – Morgan Spurlock (I know, I know…I’m behind the times)
- Most Otherworldly Unique: “Tree of Life” – Terrence Malick
What sort of things do you reflect upon at the close of the year? What are your highlights? Influencers? Goals?