I’ve recently grown admiration for quotes, particularly of literary origin. Since writing is a craft I’m seeking to hone, phrases and ideas on the writing process, creativity, story, and such elements have gained more of my attention. Here are a few quotes on writing that I enjoy.
Quotes on Writing
- “In prose you make the paragraph. Every paragraph is a poem.” – Jack Kerouac via
- “The most essential gift for a good writer is a built-in, shockproof, $#*@ detector.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “The telephone and visitors are the work destroyers.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “Ernest Hemingway once took a bet to write a six word novel. His result? ‘For sale, baby shoes, never worn.'” via
- “The writer’s life is a decision to write badly, study greatness, find out about life. It’s a difficult blessing…” – @annelamott
- “I loved words. I love to sing them and speak them and even now, I must admit, I have fallen into the joy of writing them.” – Anne Rice
- “The art of writing is the art of discovering what you believe.” – Gustave Flaubert
- “Every writer I know has trouble writing.” – Joseph Heller
- “The hardest part of writing is not the writing part, it’s the figuring-out-what-I’m-trying-to -say part.” –
- “Words, once they are printed, have a life of their own.” – Carol Burnett
- “I love being a writer. What I can’t stand is the paperwork.” – Peter De Vries
- “Easy reading is damn hard writing.” – Nathaniel Hawthorne
- “A book is a container for an idea.” – Seth Godin
What quotes on writing do you like?