I’ve got some news that you might not have heard.
I’m writing a book.
That’s what this whole blog has been about, actually.
I’ve thought about writing a book for a couple years. Books have played an increasingly vital role in my life, because they hold such potential to impact readers. Words have power, and I’ve really benefited from the way good writers have crafted words for me to read. Words carry the power of influence and sparking change.
Books have taken my mind on journeys far, to desert sunrises and sprawling cities, even while my body remained glued on the living room floor until evening.
Why I’m Writing a Book
Each of us has a story to tell, whether we realize it or not. No one else can tell the stories of life just the way you do, because your thoughts and experiences have the unique characteristic of being yours exclusively.
I’ve got stories to share which haven’t been told by anyone else. My point in writing about my life experiences is to draw observations from the things I’ve encountered. I think God likes to reveal things to us by letting us live a story with variables, tons of little changeable factors that build a life experience. It is through the variable life that we gain perspective.
I’ve been jotting down stories I remember from childhood, the things I’ve learned, where I’ve traveled, and the relationships that have impacted me. Many of my friends and family have stories that have seldom been shared. There are scores of stories to include, questions I’ve asked and ideas I’ve contemplated. The book is taking shape as a memoir.
Since I started this blog in 2007, blogging has been an outlet for the writing and photography I’ve attempted. I use this blog for a couple reasons:
- To share experiences, ideas, and promote meaningful conversation online. Two-way communication is better than one-way (that means we should lean into more dialogue, less monologue).
- To keep actively exercising my writing abilities. It may not always be pretty, but I’m pursuing growth and getting more writing experience.
What I Need From You
It may be true that writing a book is more or less a solitary project, but I still need something from you. I’d already like to say “thank you” for being on my website and reading this. To take it a step further, you can help me by doing this:
- Subscribe to my blog here for email updates. This will keep you up to date on my writing progress and blog posts.
- You can “Like” my official Facebook page (facebook.com/johnweirickofficial) and/or follow me on Twitter (@johnweirick) for updates, witty comedy, Instagram photos, and cool stuff I find on the web.
- Please share this update and my other blog posts on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+. You can share this post by clicking one of these:
Later on, I’ll be letting you know how you can also support me in the publishing process (which is still quite a ways off). I’ll need a lot of your help financially, but also with your social connections. But let’s take it one step at a time.
Thanks for your support. My hope is that through sharing more words, I can make an impact others like I’ve been impacted by the power of words.