Art is vital.
Without art, the mind shrivels to malnourishment. We can’t live only by the rigidity of tasks and performance and rules. We need inspiration, play, breaks from routine, and expressions of ideas outside of our perspective. The human spirit thrives on creativity.
Many of us are artists, whether with shapes or colors or images or words or sounds or lights or tastes. We’ve got something to share with the world, and with it, the potential for inspiring more creativity in others.
Here are some of my favorite quotes on creativity, art, and ideas.
Quotes on Creativity
- “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” – Pablo Picasso via @GaryMo
- “Invest your time wisely. Artists will be best remembered based on a few great pieces, not on a large body of work.” – @christianjsweet
- “O great creator of being, grant us one more hour to perform our art and perfect our lives.” – Jim Morrison via @StoryChicago
- “Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents.” -Ludwig van Beethoven via @jonforeman
- “Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen.” – John Steinbeck
- “Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.” – Henry Ward Beecher
- “The world always seems brighter when you’ve just made something that wasn’t there before.” -Neil Gaiman
- “Creativity is an act of worship. Treat the process that way. Do it unto God not ego.” – @b_rewster
- “A person who…does not regard music as a marvelous creation of God, must be a clodhopper indeed and does not deserve to be called a human being; he should be permitted to hear nothing but the braying of asses and the grunting of hogs.” – Martin Luther via @sandseraph
- “This is the hardest thing in the world for artists (maybe anyone): to enjoy your work without worrying about the outcome.” – @jeffgoins
- “A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- “Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. Think, edit, collaborate, evaluate. Make mature decisions.” – @jlaaz
What are you favorite thoughts on creativity?