Lots of people have knowledge. Knowledge is pretty accessible for most people. It’s just a matter of collecting information. But wisdom is different; it requires more than just cognitively acknowledging something. Wisdom is about choices.
Wisdom can be understood as knowledge skillfully applied to a specific situation. Some say that wisdom is learning not from your own mistakes, but from someone else’s. If you can learn from the failures of another person, you don’t have to waste your time figuring it out yourself.
I like finding little proverbs and bits of wisdom. There are a plethora of quotes in books, articles, and online, but here are a few I’ve come across that I thought worthy to share. Remember, it’s not wisdom unless you apply it somehow.
If you have a quote of wisdom to share, put it in the comments section at the bottom of this page.
Quotes on Wisdom
- “I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.” – Socrates
- “It is the test of a good religion whether you can joke about it.” – G. K. Chesteron
- “The next best thing to being wise oneself is to live in a circle of those who are.” – C. S. Lewis
- “Simplicity is not a simple thing.” – Charlie Chaplin
- “A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor’s book.” – Irish Proverb
- “Someone very wise once told me, ‘You have to be filled up to be poured out.'” – @Audree_Rose
- “I really think that the key to happiness it a good cigar or pipe. Most old guys that are happy seem to have one. #lifeslittlesecrets” – @theschaefer
- “Try to sleep with that active sleep of confidence which is that of the seed in winter.” – Teilhard De Chardin
- “Two things that make the world a poorer place: young people who ask no questions & old people who offer no wisdom.” – @tylerbraun
- “Puke out the ego, breathe in some wisdom. and digest the reality.” – @IamNovel
- “Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Things never happen the same way twice.” –Aslan (C.S. Lewis – Prince Caspian)
- “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
- “We can now recognize that the fate of the soul is the fate of the social order; that if the spirit within us withers, so too will all the world we build about us.” – Theodore Roszak
What words of wisdom do you find worthy of sharing?