I’ve read somewhere that “exploration is really the essence of the human spirit.” That’s something I can connect with. There’s something amazingly energizing about adventure, the way it pulls us into the largess of the world in which we live.
Adventure, exploration, and living actively help us become more alive, help us to see things more clearly, and often remind us that we are not the only thing in the universe. Here are a few quotes that encapsulate these ideas.
Quotes on Adventure, Exploration, and Living Actively
- “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.” – Augustine of Hippo
- “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein
- “If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you.” – Fred DeVito
- “The greatest part of life is to go to places you’ve never been before, and to live dangerously.” – Noran Bakrie
- “Pursue meaningful adventures.” – Chris Guillebeau
- “Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they’ve got a second.” – William James
- “In wisdom gathered over time I have found that every experience is a form of exploration.” – Ansel Adams
- “My fear is that the comfort and security of “home” will one day replace the longing for adventure of the unknown.” – Preston Dabbs
- “To me, the word ‘adventure’ usually means ‘doing a lot of things you’re afraid of, a lot of times, until you’re not.'” – Jon Acuff
- “I, ______, want to see the world. Follow a map to its edges, and keep going. Forgo the plans. Trust my instincts. Let curiosity be my guide. I want to chance hemispheres. Sleep with unfamiliar stars and let the journey unfold before me.” – The Maptia Manifesto
- “If you knew that your life was merely a phase of your existence, how would you live? Knowing nothing ‘real’ was at risk, what would you do? You’d live a gigantic, big, fun, dazzling life. You know you would. That’s what the ghosts want us to do – all the exciting things they no longer can.” – Chuck Palahniuk
What are your favorite quotes on adventure?