As I’m taking some time this week to visit family and friends, I’m reminded of the importance the close people play in our lives. Relationships have great power to impact and influence us, so it follows that we must be diligent about fostering healthy relationships for the good of all parties involved. [Community is also one of the main themes of the book I’m writing, which you can learn about here.]
Show me a person with great friends, and I’d bet that person is becoming great in the ways his friends are. Similarly, a person with lousy friends who lack discipline often becomes more irresponsible himself. We become like the people we spend time with.
There’s a great line from one of my favorite bands, Mumford & Sons, which goes like this:
“In these bodies we will live,
In these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love
You invest your life.”
I love that chorus because it reminds us of the truth that the substance of our lives will form to the shape of our commitments, including and especially when it comes to relationships.
Here are some great quotes on relationships I’ve found recently. If you enjoy any of them, feel free to share them on Facebook, Twitter, or whatever social media platform you use most.
Quotes on Relationships, Community, and Personal Connections
- “In relationships we assist one another to become a fuller version of our best selves.” – @ChrisHeuertz
- “Showing up in the life of another echoes God’s promise: ‘I am with you.'” – @johnsowers
- “We are changed by many factors, including our community. Choose people you want to be like.” – @donaldmiller
- “A good father is one of the most unsung, unpraised, unnoticed, & yet one of the most valuable assets in society.” – Billy Graham via @tmproject
- “Two heads are better than one, not because either is infallible, but because they are unlikely to go wrong in the same direction.” – C.S. Lewis
- “Social Media = Praise / Adulation without relationship. Watch out.” – @Fake_Andrew
- “When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of being.” – Goethe
- “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” – Pericles
- “We live in a world starved for solitude, silence, and privacy, and therefore starved for meditation and true friendship.” – C.S. Lewis
- “Life’s big questions is what unites us all.” – @rainnwilson
- “Conversation enriches the understanding, but solitude is the school of genius.” – Edward Gibbon
- “The fulfillment we derive from helping others helps us maintain our own sense of purpose, and is an integral element of personal growth. On the other hand, if we don’t invest in others, we stunt both our personal potential and the opportunity to influence someone else for the better.” – Kristen Howerton on Psychologist Erik Erikson, Relevant Magazine
- “A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other…Every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it!” – Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities
What are your favorites quotes or ideas on relationships, community, and personal connections? Answer in the comments section below.