There’s something mystical and refreshing about being outdoors. Whether it’s a summer at the beach, skiing mountains in the winter, or hiking trails in the fall, there’s so much for us to experience away from computer screens and busyness of the city. Even many cities now emphasize gardens, forest parks, and outdoor areas within city limits because they realize people desire to be close to nature.
I’ve grown to love the great outdoors even more since I’ve lived in the Pacific Northwest, where endless forests, majestic mountains, and rocky coastlines offer plenty of territory for adventurers. Promoted frequently with the ease of mobile photography like Instagram (you can follow me at @johnweirick), it seems people are reinvigorated in their love for getting outside and enjoying the natural world.
Here are 10 quotes about the energy, peace, and mystery of the beautiful spaces we experience once we step out the front door.
10 Quotes to Ponder While You Enjoy the Great Outdoors
- “Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.” – John Muir
- “I walk in the woods, the touch of a tree, To feel the ground beneath my feet, That’s what heaven, I’m sure, will be.” – anonymous
- “All good things are wild and free.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike.” – John Muir
- “If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water.” – Loren Eiseley
- “It tunnels into solid rock and bores…keeps alive the sense of continuing creation and of the relentless drive of life.” – Rachel Carson
- “In wildness is the preservation of the world.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “The sea is the land’s edge also, the granite into which it reaches, the beaches where it tosses…its hints of earlier and other creation.” – T.S. Eliot
- “In God’s wildness lies the hope of the world.” – John Muir
- “But the present world is also designed for something which has not yet happened. It is like a violin waiting to be played: beautiful to look at, graceful to hold – and yet if you’d never heard one in the hands of a musician, you wouldn’t believe the new dimensions of beauty yet to be revealed.” – N.T. Wright
What are your favorite quotes on the natural world? What do you enjoy about the outdoors?